Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Week 1 - An Introduction

After seeing the corny title of my blog, and the cliché skill to learn that I have chosen, I do not blame you to expect to be underwhelmed. I hope to, however, entertain the reader with my progress, and wishfully enlighten them on the process of going from no skill to some proficiency.

About Me

Before reading on, there are a few things you should know about me, myself, and I. Basketball and any other sports are probably my favorite things to do. Friends are made, skills are established, and competitiveness are all reasons for me playing them. Playing an instrument has always been something that bored me as a kid. Whenever my parents would suggest it, it would be met with a long sigh and a resounding NO. It wasn't until recently that I have found that being able to play a song of any kind and making something that sounds good to the ears is exciting.




Goals that I hope to reach. Journeying from nothing to something.

Image result for piano gif

I truly hope to be able to play with both hands by the end of my time pursuing this topic. From my experience of about three hours of learning so far, attempting to play with both hands feels like rubbing your stomach and patting your head, except twice as hard. I will measure my progress by my ability to play melodies and chords flawlessly. Once that has happened, I will group them together.

Another goal to reach would be to familiarize myself with musical notes. I have never played a musical instrument on a high level, and therefore have no experience reading notes. Understanding the notes would allow me to further appreciate the music I’m playing, and is used in all instrument playing outside of simple tutorial/lessons.



How are you doing this? Are you some kind of all-knowing wizard? 

Image result for wizard gif





The answer is no. I am using a keyboard called the “ION Piano Apprentice” which came with an app that teaches me songs and the notes that go with them. I will also be using resources such as “HDpiano” on YouTube.



3 comments:

  1. I've been playing the piano for a few years now, and I used to play on a keyboard. On the keyboard I couldn't put any expression into my songs, and switching to a piano made my experience with it much more enjoyable. I know you're just starting out so don't run out and buy a piano, but if you ever have a chance try playing on a piano. Also, don't just go along with the songs that your app teaches you if you don't like them. There are plenty of other places to find music, like 8notes.com or from a music store. Anyway, good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great project to pursue! I've been playing the piano for many years, and it is a skill you can use for enjoyment throughout your life. As a tip, I recommend you start out by devoting some time to learning the basics of notes and the staff before you move on to playing songs. From personal experience, I've learned that it is a lot faster to new songs when you have a good grasp of the basics. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan! I have learned a bit about the staff and basics of notes to help me. When I play the final product, I will play with the sheet music. I find it to really help when learning the chords.

      Delete