Monday, March 20, 2017

Interview with an Expert!

I reached out to the Music Coordinator at the Agnes Irwin school and asked him a few questions that would set me on a path to more efficient practice and learning. Murray, as we will call him, has taught for over 35 years at the school. My mom used to teach 1st grade at Agnes Irwin, and knew him well. Below are a few of the best questions/answers I picked out. Here is his response
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I'm honored to answer your questions!  Congratulations on learning the piano.  I hope that you continue.  With YouTube and other online resources, it's SO much easier these days to begin piano study.

Here are your answers:

How and why were you introduced to playing the piano? Was it out of interest or an outside force?


When I was about 6 years old, I had a friend down the street.  They had an old upright piano in their basement.  I'd always just play around on it.  Eventually I figured out songs just by sound.  My friend's mom told my mom that I had some talent and suggested that I take lessons.  I also had an uncle who was a professional violinist.  They had a piano at their house, too.  Every time we visited them, I'd also 'mess around' on the keys.  My aunt would teach me little songs and duets.  By age 7 it was obvious that I had some real talent to develop.  One day in second grade I came home to find a new piano sitting in our living room.  That's when I started to take lessons.  

When did you discover that piano was for you? When did it become fun to play?


The piano was always for me.  I had a natural knack for it.  It was always fun for me to play.  I preferred playing 'by ear' (sounding things out) rather than reading notes and doing exercises.  

What would your advice be to someone just starting to play?


My biggest advice is NOT to start lessons too early (for most kids).  It's too hard for a younger child to sit alone and practice.  It could become a torture for them - and the parents constantly nagging about practicing.  I would suggest that careful attention is given to finding just the right teacher - personality, skill, etc.  I find that children learn an instrument fastest and better if they start around 2nd or 3rd grade (the earliest).  Middle school/upper school is also a good time to begin a new instrument.  

Practice means perfect. What methods do you find effective when practicing songs?


Practice isn't just about time spent.  It's about the quality and effectiveness of that time.  It shouldn't be too long.  Shorter periods.  If you really want to know my philosophy about practice for ANYTHING, watch this short video.   CLICK HERE FOR LINK  I've shared this with all of my high school students and friends.  It's applicable for sports, dance, music, language, almost anything!

How did you overcome the challenge of playing with both hands when you first started to play? 

At first it was hard getting both hands to coordinate.  But after a time it got easier.  And now...I can play 2 hands and even carry on a conversation at the same time.  The brain is a magnificent piece of machinery!!! Also, at first I'd just play patterns or chords with the left hand.  What is really good to do is to cross hands and try to have both hands change jobs!  That might make you crazy at first, but it can be done!

Any more questions?  Feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment